Open Channel’s GenNext Program: Supporting the next generation of screen industry innovators.
Open Channel has supported our emerging screen sector through many changes over the past 40 plus years, and current technological advances and online innovation offer opportunities for screen content that are unprecedented.
It is Open Channel’s primary objective to help the next generation of Victorian screen creators to make the most of these opportunities.
Open Channel’s GenNext Program is a one-of-a-kind development program for screen graduates and other emerging screen creators and practitioners to ‘bridge the gap’ and establish professional careers in a globalised screen sector.
Our year-long program will consistently engage participants to explore their creative thinking, practice their skills and, for some, build their own businesses through our
- Generation Next Conferences, incorporating industry expos, roundtables and networking events
- seminars exploring the latest in innovative thinking from across the globe
- guidance, structured mentorships and feedback sessions from industry professionals
- courses to develop creative business skills
- networking opportunities with peers and experienced professionals
- guided opportunities to create, distribute and commercialise screen content.
Further, our program framework offers:
- Flexibility: by allowing participants to customise their experience with a selection of general and special interest offerings.
- Support: through a structured peer program delivered in an empowering environment that prioritises participant wellbeing and collaborative culture.
- Balance: by enabling and encouraging ‘passion projects’ to co-exist with other (paid) work as by helping participants to ‘multi-skill’ and develop career agility.
- Inclusiveness: through an open intake model that fosters networking and co-creation amongst participants from diverse backgrounds.
The framework for the GenNext Program was created by listening to the needs of our members and consulting with industry and tertiary stakeholders. In coming months, Open Channel will seek further input and feedback from emerging screen practitioners and creators in Stage 2 of the program design.
Please subscribe to our OpenLine eNewsletter for information about participating in the GenNext program design and for the latest information about the Program as it develops.