About The Program
OPEN CHANNEL’s Student/Graduate Internship Program (SIP) offers exciting volunteer internships to students and recent graduates throughout the year.
OPEN CHANNEL places applicants based on availability and program needs, and selects candidates based on the best fit with our requirements. While positions are competitive and limited, all applications are retained for one year from the application submission date.
Volunteer internships provide opportunities for students and recent graduates to learn through direct experience working with OPEN CHANNEL in the field of filmmaking and arts administration to complement their academic endeavours or support with transition to work. For those seeking future job opportunities in filmmaking, this experience is invaluable in providing students with industry and screen community networks, and work skills to effectively compete for positions. In addition, some colleges and universities give academic credit for internships.
Open Channel is a not-for-profit membership based organisation we connect emerging and early career filmmakers to professional practice through professional development, events and networking.
POTENTIAL INTERN ASSIGNMENTS
Examples of volunteer responsibilities may include, but not be limited to, the following assignments:
- Participating in meetings, conferences
- Assisting with research projects
- Assisting staff members with program-related tasks, such as planning and administration, or venue set-up
- Conducting program evaluation activities
- Working on communication and outreach, including social media and the web
While not bearing the same responsibilities as an employee, Interns may be offered a level of ‘ownership’ over small projects, operating under direct Supervision of Open Channel staff.
During the interview we will also work with you to ascertain the skills you want to develop, and look to address them in a personalised learning plan if you are successful.
INTERN ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
To be eligible for the SIP at Open Channel, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be an Australian citizen or local resident
- Be an individual who is enrolled in or recently graduated from a technical or vocational institute, university, or comparable recognised educational institution with a work experience component, or a job network agency with a Work for the Dole program
- Where currently enrolled or with a Job Network agency, secure the educational institution or job network agencies permission to participate
- Be available to work the required duration of the internship
HOW TO APPLY
SIP opportunities are available throughout the year. Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Volunteer applicants are advised of the following application process:
Complete the online application form, attach a cover letter and resume, and submit. ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
The cover letter should explain why the applicant wants to be a volunteer Intern and should include the qualifications, experience, and other background information related to the position that he or she is seeking, and how the applicant believes he or she can benefit from the volunteer assignment. The resume should outline previous employment experience, education, any affiliations and certifications, and include references with contact information.
If applicants are being considered for placement, they will be notified by an OPEN CHANNEL representative, who will guide them through the final selection and commencement process. We will meet with shortlisted applicants in an informal interview prior to commencement.
Current Intern opportunities:
- Training Assistant – ongoing (2 days per week for 6-12 weeks duration; Monday/Thursday or Thursday/Friday), start a.s.a.p.
- Executive Assistant to the CEO – ongoing (2 days per week for 6-12 weeks duration; days to be negotiated), start a.s.a.p.
If you wish to be directly notified about future Internship opportunities please sign up to our mailing list here:
Volunteer assignments are strictly unpaid and without financial compensation. OPEN CHANNEL does not provide funds or reimbursement for relocation travel, lodging or other expenses. Open Channel maintains current volunteer insurance. No liability is assumed.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Open Channel is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to ethnicity, religion, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or age status.